August is children’s vision and learning month!
It seems appropriate that August is children’s vision and learning month since it is back to school time. This month is always a busy one for parents; between back to school shopping, wrapping up summer camps and squeezing in last minute vacations or trying to soak up some of the summer sun while it lasts (of course we know your wearing sun screen and UV protecting sunglasses while doing so!) things get a bit crazy. In the midst of all the chaos please don’t forget to schedule an annual eye exam for your children, experts say that 80% of what your child learns is presented visually so sending them to school without a recent eye exam is almost like sending them to school without textbooks. With that knowledge it seems obvious that in the midst of picking out a trendy backpack, pencils, calculators, and whatever other gadgets your children need you should schedule an eye exam!
All About Vision advises the following symptoms are often indicative of learning-related vision problems:
• Headaches or eye strain
• Blurred vision or double vision
• Crossed eyes or eyes that appear to move independently of each other
• Dislike or avoidance of reading and close work
• Short attention span during visual tasks
• Turning or tilting the head to use one eye only, or closing or covering one eye
• Placing the head very close to the book or desk when reading or writing
• Excessive blinking or rubbing the eyes
• Losing place while reading, or using a finger as a guide
• Slow reading speed or poor reading comprehension
• Difficulty remembering what was read
• Omitting or repeating words, or confusing similar words
• Persistent reversal of words or letters (after second grade)
• Difficulty remembering, identifying or reproducing shapes
• Poor eye-hand coordination
• Evidence of developmental immaturity
So, what are you waiting for? Be proactive and call Complete Family Eyecare today to schedule! Our August schedule is filling up quickly!!